In 1914, a kendo dojo named “Yokikan” was founded in Steveston, the first of its kind in Canada. Tsuzuki Kenta, head instructor of this dojo, had trained at the Yushinkan under Neigishi Shingoro sensei and was a 4th kyu. His students were all young Steveston fishermen.
In 1920, nineteen-year-old Rintaro Hayashi became the head instructor. Yuichi Akune who took his place in 1927. By this time the club had evolved into what was then called “Yosei-kan” or “Proper Upbringing Hall”.
Yosei-kan held its classes in the Japanese Language School where practices were often held on cold frost covered floors warmed only by a wood stove. Instructors were remunerated merely for the cost of tea and gas.
In 1949, following the return of many interned Japanese to the west coast of British Columbia, kendo once again began to take root in Steveston. With the help of Rintaro Hayashi and Moriharu Tanigami, Yuichi Akune reassumed his role as head instructor of a reborn Steveston Kendo Club. He remained head instructor until he stepped down in the early 1970s to be followed by Moriharu Tanigami.
When Tanigami stepped down in 1990, Ray Murao became the club’s head instructor and brought the Steveston Kendo Club through to the 21st century.